Saturday, June 21, 2008

Freaked me out!

So I was sitting on the toilet tonight taking care of some "business" (sorry. tmi. I know) and I reach over to get the "paperwork" and out of the corner of my eye I see something moving on the floor below me. I could not believe it! It was slithering across the floor! It went under the door and into the laundry room. Ok... so maybe it didn't slither as much as it scampered... I am not quite sure how to describe what it did. So I finish my "business" very quickly and bravely open the door to the laundry room. Peeking out from under a very full laundry basket are four little feet and a nub of a tail and some greenish brown rough skin. There was what looked like a gecko!
(no I don't need new insurance... sorry... random thought) I didn't know there were geckos in Washington. Maybe it was a little lizard or in the salamander family. I have no idea. So I picked up the little guy ever so carefully. He didn't bite me or even fight to get away. I took him outside and gave him the freedom he had been longing for. Setting him down in the grass I could almost hear his gratitude... ok, so you can't hear gratitude from a gecko lizard thing... but I know that the life of that lizard will be much happier lived out in the great vastness of the yard and beyond rather than locked up in the house with the fear of being eaten by the cat.
Oh the adventures I have had.





5 comments:

  1. Oh My! I definitely would have made Jess touch it. No way I would have gone near that thing! You're so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, should the same thing ever happen to me in the future, I guess I'll know which friend to call as I stand on the bathroom counter screaming :) Because there is no way I am getting close to it, let alone PICKING IT UP AND SETTING IT FREE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! I remember playing with those when we lived in the Philippines! They crawled up the walls and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny thing. I told my house mate this story tonight and she told me the following...
    earlier today the cat came inside and had a tail in his mouth. the tail was still wiggling.
    assumption. I am assuming that the de-tail-ectomy had just taken place and the cat had assumed that he had the whole gecko in his grips but geckos have a great defense mechanism and lose their tails when in danger. saved the geckos life. lost the tail. and then I set him free! good story! and it's true! amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They climb walls Katie? Oh dear... well, there goes my "stand on the bathroom counter" plan...

    ReplyDelete