Friday, June 06, 2008

middle march... yes I know it's June

"...for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs." --George Eliot, Middlemarch

I finished a BBC miniseries called "middle march" recently. In the last scene I heard the above quote and it echoed through my mind for quite some time.
Somehow as I think about my future and the things God has put on my heart. I imagine that something big will happen in my life and that I might have a big impact on the world. Hearing this quote reminded me that my contribution to this world may not be recognized by a great number of people or even be considered "big" for that matter. However, that does not make my contribution to this world any less important. For like the series proclaimed... "the growing good of the world is partly bent on unhistoric acts"
We each contribute little things each day to the greater good of the world. Through a smile to a stranger or a thank you to someone holding a door. Our unhistoric acts do make a difference in this world.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jami! Just when I was thinking "What's the point?"

    ReplyDelete