Friday, July 04, 2008

SAILING!!! For REAL this time!

On June 28th a life long goal of mine was reached... I SAILED for the first time ever! Thanks to my friend Jesse, this goal was attained. He has a small sailboat and offered to take me, Kate, Vic, and Amy, out for a few hours or so.
We met Jesse in Gig Harbor and got on the sailboat. After puttering out of the harbor and onto the Sound we prayed for wind and soon after were being swept through the waves by the gentle tug of the wind. It was breath taking. A perfect day for sailing (or so everyone said), not a cloud in the sky, and a light breeze strong enough to carry us across the water. While out in the water we saw a few seals, seagulls, and even jumping fish. It was so much fun!
I got to help tack the line, which has to do with changing the direction of the sail and where the wind hits the sail, thus changing the direction in which the boat travels. It was amazing to be a part of. Such strength in the sails it was exhilarating and thrilling to contribute to our sailing experience. A gust of wind put a tiny damper on the sails... something snapped. We had to putter from the Sound back to the Harbor. It was still beautiful and amazing. I hope to sail again and again and... you get the picture. Maybe next time everything will stay in tact and we will get to be pulled along by the wind for a greater amount of time.
It will still go down in my history book as a day to be remembered forever. Thanks friends for making it such a fantastic memory!


my feet. I was sailing. it was glorious. can you see how happy my feet are? they are wiggling they are so happy!!

Jesse serenaded us girls with the notes he strummed on the guitar for a couple hours

the ever coveted red cushion


Jesse smoking a Cheeto. did you know that cheetos are actually fried caterpillars? it was news to me too. crazy huh!

Katie and Me

Amy and Vicky

four silly girls on a sailboat


Kate looking like she was doing something. Not quite sure what is was though.

I think that is called the tiller... feel free to correct me if I am wrong

trying to be artsy fartsy

my friends on the sailboat without a name. any good ideas for a name??

the sails. an important part in the naming of this sea vessel.

Ahoy! It's Captain Jesse! Thanks so much Jesse for letting us invade your sailboat and making the day so memorable!


Vicky fashioned the orange classic life vest. these life vests are so hot! I don't understand why we don't wear them more often!

Katie was the ever so helpful "cabin girl"... thank you for all of the times that you grabbed stuff for all of us :)

2 comments:

  1. It was a fun day! I think my love of the outdoors is growing by leaps and bounds this summer. Biking, sailing... seriously, I haven't been this tan in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great documentation Jame!

    ReplyDelete